Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tex in the City


So, it has been a long time. In reality, I just finished a post, so for you it has not been a long time, because you probably haven't read the post I just did below. Anyway. What's up? How are you?!

How am I, you ask, well, I'm great. I had the day off of work today to celebrate my half birthday, and also because of Veteran's Day or something. But, luckily, I had school right, smack in the middle of my day off. Awesome!

A lot has happened since my last post (as I wrote this, I had forgotten that I wrote another post, so just play along.) Anyway, I went to New York, and I fell IN LOVE!!! His name is Manhattan and in a few years we are moving in together! Here are a few cool, quick and funny things that happened in New York (and this is an actual list that I comprised of things I wanted to do and that I actually did)

1. See a pick up game (or a rap battle)

2. Don't go to the Statue of Liberty

3. See a famous person

4. Don't be horrified by a homeless dude, and/or panhandler, carpetbagger or hustler

5. Make fun of people from LA with a group of New Yorkers

6. Pose as a New Yorker

7. Develop an accent... a Sarah Palin accent...

8. Pretend to be the Real Long Island Lolita, Amy Fisher as played by Drew Barrymore in the made for TV movie, The Amy Fisher Story (1992) (I actually did a monologue from this during my first night in Long Island)

9. Get lost

10. Say 'Get lost!' to somebody

11. Survive after a subway ride

12. Pretend to be studying Anglo Saxon Literature at NYU

13. Find out what is on 56th and 5th

14. Buy a newspaper from a newsie

15. See the ocean!

16. Eat a cupcake from that place that Katie Holmes is always eating cupcakes from...

OK, as you can see, I was really busy. That wasn't even the whole list. Those are just the things I did! The one thing on the list that I regret not doing is #19 High five Tina Fey, then promptly beg for a job. I did see a girl that looked like Tina Fey the first night we were there, but I saved my high five for the real thing! Dang...

Anyway, I also did some fun things that were not on the list. I saw Michael Rapaport (pictured above). I couldn't remember his name until like an hour later, and neither of my friends saw him. I kept saying, 'you know that New York actor who always plays an Irish cop or a dumb, Irish dude.' So, I didn't get to say, 'Hey, Michael Rapaport, I loved you as Phoebe's Irish cop boyfriend on Friends!'

I also saw Lindsey Lohan. She was in a store, so I only got to see her behind glass, but in retrospect, that is probably the safest way to see Lindsey Lohan 'in the wild'.

Another highlight of the trip was when a nervous-looking businessman asked me for directions, and I actually kind of knew the answer! He was like, 'uhh, excuse me, can you tell me which way to 56th Street?' I casually pointed over my shoulder with my thumb and flatly said 'that way'. He thanked me. I wanted to say 'GET LAWST!' in my fake, but perfected New York accent derived from two days in total Long Island immersion.

Also, I found sailors! Even though, unfortunately it was not Fleet Week. I asked them if they ever store bananas or any other kind of fruit in their hats. They thought I was a little crazy, which I probably am...

Also, the first night in the city, I saw a rap battle, AND a break dance fight! I didn't participate in either, nor did I watch a lot of them because I heard that they are just there to keep the spectators distracted while tiny thieves pick your pockets.

Needless to say, I got on the plane and looked longingly out the window during the hour taxi to the runway. And I was so depressed to be leaving. I feel that I have found my place in the world, even though it is WAY too expensive for a social worker, and it is not within driving distance to my parents' house. I was depressed for like three weeks because I feel like I am missing EVERYTHING! I am going to work on moving there. Someday, somehow... Until later... If you ever get stuck between the moon and New York City....

No comments: